Neck & Back Injuries
Based in Columbia, Missouri, attorneys at Lear Werts LLP have extensive experience building successful workers' compensation claims on behalf of injured employees, including injuries involving the neck and back. Neck and back injuries are among the most common workplace injuries, and can often be the most severe. These injuries may be suffered in a vehicle or construction accident, a machinery malfunction, or simply from lifting, pushing, or pulling heavy objects. Some of the most common neck and back injuries include:
- Whiplash - Whiplash most commonly occurs in vehicle accidents. Symptoms include pain in the neck and shoulders, muscle spasms, and headaches that may persist for days following an accident.
- Disc injuries - The discs in your spine act as shock absorbers between the spinal vertebrae. Disc injuries frequently occur after lifting heavy objects, and can result in severe pain and an inability to move freely. Severe disc injuries may require surgery.
- Spinal Fractures - Fractures of the spinal vertebrae can result from falls or other accidents. Fractures can range from mild to severe, and may require surgery.
Understanding Neck & Back Injuries
Neck and back injuries can have devastating long-term effects on your health and overall well-being. Because of the neural pathways in your neck and spine, even minor injuries can severely impact other parts of your body. An injury to your neck or back may result in the following:
- Numbness and loss of sensation
- Loss of grip strength
- Intense or radiating pain
- An inability to breathe on your own
- An inability to regulate your heart rate and blood pressure
- Muscular and bone degeneration
The most serious spinal cord injuries (SCIs) can lead to paralysis, including paraplegia, which affects the lower extremities, and quadriplegia or tetraplegia, which affects all four limbs and the chest, neck, and head.
The medical costs associated with neck and back injuries can be staggering. Even less serious injuries may require magnetic resonance imaging (an MRI) and numerous doctor visits simply to receive an accurate diagnosis. In some cases, SCIs require extensive, long-term physical therapy, medical treatment, personal care, and at-home assistance, which can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars
Seek Experienced, Knowledgeable Representation
A neck or back injury can potentially have an enormous impact on you and your loved ones. The experienced attorneys at Lear Werts can help you through this difficult time. We will navigate the complex hearing process to ensure that you receive the maximum workers' compensation benefits you are entitled to as quickly as possible. To learn more about the claims process, visit our procedure page, and contact our offices for a complimentary consultation. Whether you are unable to work temporarily or permanently, attorneys at Lear Werts LLP will work tirelessly so that you are compensated for your injuries.